5 Reasons Why Your HVAC Unit is Loud Do you find your HVAC unit excessively…
Bad smells in your home can be both uncomfortable and embarrassing. Luckily, there are several steps you can take to make your home smell fresher, without resorting to covering up odors with chemicals that pollute your indoor air even more.
See Also: Why Do I Need An Air Purifier?
Steps to Freshen Your Home’s Air
- Air It Out: Sometimes the old-fashioned ways are best. When the weather is perfect, you can freshen up your house the same way Grandma did—by opening the windows. Unfortunately, this won’t work for most of the year but take advantage of those gorgeous days when you can!
- Clean It Up: Grandma would approve of this tip, too. Cleaning your house, especially soft surfaces, can go a long way towards clearing the air. Wash curtains and bedding regularly, and vacuum carpets and upholstery. Consider steam-cleaning your carpets, particularly if you have pets. Scrub away at smelly mold and mildew in your bathrooms, as well as greasy surfaces in the kitchen.
- Avoid Smelly Ducts: Over time, bad smelling particles can build up inside the ducts of your home. Having them professionally cleaned can help to ensure that the air blowing through your vents isn’t making things worse.
- Dry Up Mold: If your home is damp and musty-smelling, you may need a whole-house dehumidifier to prevent mold from growing. The EPA recommends a maximum indoor humidity level of 50%. Mold not only smells bad, it can cause a range of health problems, especially in people and pets who are allergic to it.
- Keep Your Filter Fresh: Replace your air intake filter regularly so that it can more effectively clean the air that passes through it.
- Upgrade Your HVAC: For the ultimate in indoor odor elimination, you can upgrade your HVAC system with a cold plasma air scrubber or an air purifier. Cold plasma will knock out odor-causing particles, while an air purifier goes a step further and removes microorganisms like bacteria and viruses from the air as well. Check out our upgrades page for several different options that can fit a range of needs and budgets.